.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday in Carlisle

9 a.m.: I slept in and enjoyed the free Continental breakfast in the lobby. It is cool and cloudy here.

6:30 p.m. The ordination ceremony was beautiful. The First Lutheran Church is a large Gothic stone church w ith a big dome above. There were two bishops and several other clergy involved. We did a lot of singing and praying, and they offered communion, which I respectfully declined. The bishop of the synod offered an inspiring sermon about being a good shepherd.
After that I attended a small reception in the church social hall, where I met Rob's parents and brother and sister. I also spoke with the minister who supervised Rob during his internship. It turns out it is Paddy Rooney, who is married to my wife's best friend from their high school 40 years ago. I had no idea he was going to be there.

As a Buddhist, I didn't expect I would be putting any crosses on my blog, but on Friday I did so in honor of my Roman Catholic friend who lost her son. The crosses in the Lutheran Church today were much plainer, without the crucifix. I'll try to find one of those for Rob.



(176/175)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home