.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Day off?

7:30 a.m.: I got up this morning to run with Alison at 7, but she overslept. She just called and said she would be along soon. That's OK.

9 a.m.: What a terrific run! We did about three miles at a nice easy pace, and it felt wonderful. This time is wasn't so much like a meditation because we were talking. It was fun catching up with an old friend. We asked about each other's families and things like that. She has a new boyfriend -- also named Jim -- and they seem very happy, so I am happy for her. She has had some unhappy relationships lately, and she deserves better. Meanwhile it was mile (about 45 degrees) and bright and sunny. It felt more like April than January. I felt refreshed and energized when I got back. It reminded me of why I love running so much. I hope I can do a lot more running. (That's not me in the photo, just a shot off the Web that captures the feel.)

7 p.m.: In the morning, we had a visit from a Realtor who looked over our house for an appraisal. She is going to do some more research and call us back when she has some figures. Then, after lunch, I went into the office and updated my syllabus for English Composition I and started updating the Web site for the online section of the class. I worked solidly from noon to 5 and got a lot done. It's amazing how much more I get accomplished when nobody else is around.

Barbara made a delicious stir-fry for dinner. We plan to play Scrabble this evening.

(The score of the Scrabble game was a tie! I can't believe it. Barbara made a fantastic playt early in the game. She used all seven tiles to spell "altruism." and got 73 points for it, putting her far in the lead. but I slowly crept up on her and we ended up with a 219-to-119 tie. Mon came in third with 141 points. We all had a good time.
(149/177)
Running: 3 miles


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home