.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Day of Mindfulness


8 a.m.: As a member of the Order of Interbeing, (http://www.iamhome.org/oi.htm) , I am determined to spend at least 60 days a year in mindfulness. Ideally, my whole life should be lived mindfully, but that is unrealistic for me at this point. But I try to make Sundays as mindful as possible.

What does that mean?

Well, I try to be aware of what I am doing. I try to use one-pointed concentration to be truly aware of what is happening in the present moment. When I do that, I am more likely to do things that are beneficial and less likely to do things that are harmful to myself or others. That's what make is a spiritual pursuit.

Photograph of the Buddha and the sky by Vicki Dodge from Stan Wood Gallery (http://www.stanwoodarts.com/gallery.htm).

So today I have planned to attend a church service led by my good friend Steve, who is a minister at the Unity church.( http://www.yeahgod.org/) Although I am a Buddhist, I feel very welcome and comfortable there. Then I will visit another friend who is a Christian minister, David, who recently had a heart attack. In the afternoon, of course, I will lead our own Buddhist sangha (www.capesangha.org) so this promises to be a very spiritual day.
I hope I can accomplish some practical work, like putting another coat on the new desk top I am making. And I need to set aside some quality time with my wife. But all in all, I hope I can practice mindfulness as much as possible.

2 p.m.: The church service and visit with David were both very nice. Steve reminded me that we may live under the illusion that we are alone and separate, but in reality, we are all one.

7 p.m.: The sangha meeting this afternoon was awesome. I was surprised last week when 17 people showed up. I told Jeff I thought that was a fluke, and I suggested he put out 10 chairs. We ended up with 19 people. It is not about the numbers, but we must be doing something right. It is gratifying that so many people find it useful.

(149/176)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home