.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Busy Friday

1 p.m.: I'm even too busy to write in my blog.
Didn't run or meditate. Dashed off to school. Had a good mass comm class, but the classroom is too small. I set up my new desktop in my office, and it looks good. It's not perfect. I'll have to live with it and make some changes later.
The orientation meeting for the online class is this afternoon, followed by the wake for my friend's son.

7 p.m.: Visiting hours at the funeral home are always difficult, but when the deceased is a 25-year-old man, it is unimaginably hard. I expected my friend's colleagues from the college would be there to console her on the loss of her son. Most of the faculty and staff was there, and that was nice because we comforted each other as best we could with hugs. But what I was not prepared for was the fact that we were outnumbered by Andrew's young friends. There were dozens of "20-something" folks -- strong healthy young men and beautiful young women. They reminded me so of my own sons and their friends. They would try to be strong and stoic. Some of the guys punched each other with a fist to the shoulder and mumbled "How's it goin'?" But then they would lose it and start crying, hugging each other. Whenever I saw something like that I would lose it myself.

The family belongs to a Roman Catholic Church, where the funeral mass will be celebrated tomorrow. May God bless them all and give them strength.

(129/176)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home