.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

...And I Ran!


2 p.m.: Yes!
This morning I went for a good run. Alison called around 10 and suggested a run. We met at 11 and ran from her house to Johnny Kelley Park and back -- about five miles. The park is named for the late Johnny Kelley, who lived in Dennis for many years before his death in 2004. He was a great runner and a very nice man. This photo shows him in front of the statue honoring him at Heartbreak Hill on the Boston Marathon course. The statue depicts him as a young man winning it and as an old man who continued to run it into his 80s. I ran in a few races on Cape Cod with him, and he was always friendly and kind. After I ran the Johnny Kelley Road Race in 2002 I asked him to autograph my race number, and it is hanging on my bulletin board right beside me now. Anyway, I had a terrific run today. Actually it is cheating to say I ran five miles because I had to stop and run a couple of times. That is not like me, but I guess I am woefully out of shape compared to "usually." But the important thing is that I am back on the road again. I know I will get stronger and faster each time I run, as long as I keep it up. I feel confident I can do it. The weather should be improving too. We still have a few inches of snow on the ground, but Alison and I ran along a nice sidewalk/bike path that had been cleared pretty well. The temperature was above freezing, so the footing was good. I feel terrific about running.
After the run we went to Buckie's Biscotti, http://www.buckiesbiscotti.com/ a wonderful little bakery in Dennis, Mass., where they have a great chai tea latte with soy milk. I also splurged and had a cinnamon roll.

10 p.m.: Barbara and I went to the movies tonight. On the way, I measured the run I did this morning, and it was more than five miles, so I don't feel bad at all. We went to see Brokeback Mountain, which was very powerful. I thought the acting, directing, cinematiography and screenplay were all excellent. I also found it extremely disturbing personally. I don't think any heterosexual man can sit comfortably and watch such a credible and sensitive love story between two men without feeling a little uncomfortable. It is a powerful look at the attitudes we all have deep in our psyches about sexuality. I also loved the short story by Annie Proulx. I remember reading it in the New Yorker years ago, when it was first published. I was so impressed with her writing that I made copies of it and gave it to my fellow writing professors. I think the film honored the short story.
(120/171) Running 5 miles

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great morning for your run! I laughed when I read that you went to measure the run with the car. There are so many times, I tell my husband to go one way or another on the way home so that I can measure the distance!!

We have not seen the movie Brokeback Mountain. I have heard a lot about it, but we are usually looking for 'children' friendly movies!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home