.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Meditate!

11:15: What is wrong with me? I know I am happier if I meditate every day. I teach people they will be happier if they meditate every day. I tell my students they will be happier if they meditate every day. And yet I felt like I was behind schedule and needed to save time this week, so I skipped meditation Monday and Tuesday. Then I just got lazy and skipped it for no reason Wednesday and Thursday. So at 9:30 this morning, while my colleague Cindy and I were talking about meeting times for various committees I found myself saying, "I feel like throwing myself down on the floor, holding my breath and kicking my feet and fists." She asked if she could take a photograph of that. But the point is that I start feeling stressed out if I do not meditate. So I shall do it every morning form now on. I will also take a few minutes to do it right now.
I just repeated the story above to Lora Ziemba, a wonderful yoga teacher who also teaches reading here.
"Sometimes we are humbled," she said, "Into taking our own advice."
6:30 p.m.: The snow started falling around noon, and we have about six inches by now. The campus shut down at 3:30, so my evening class was canceled. I went to an Interfaith Coalition council meeting, and the drive home, which should have taken 20 minutes, took about an hour the roads were icy and treacherous. Another reason I was upset this morning was probably because the Weight Watchers weigh in said I was up three pounds again. Up and down. Up and down.
(140/172)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home