.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Too much to do!

9 a.m.: I slept until about 8 a.m. because I really needed my sleep. I had a good breakfast, and now I had better figure out how to set up my grade book on Excel Spreadsheets.
I just learned that an old friend, Frank Delear, died last week. His obituary was in the Cape Cod Times. Frank was 92. Starting about 20 years ago, when I was 37 and he was 72, we ran a lot of road races together. We discovered we had many things in common; he was also a journalist and writer. I have a copy of a book we wrote -- a biography of aviation pioneer Igor Sikorsky -- which Frank inscribed to me. I hadn't seen Frank in about 10 years. I wish I had kept in touch.
7 p.m.: I have set up digital grade books for three classes so far, and I have also graded a lot of papers and put in information about attendance, quiz grades and so forth. That gives me a feeling of accomplishment.
(143/172)

2 Comments:

Blogger Wendy C. said...

You're a busy guy! It's inspiring that you work so much but still make time to run!
I am sorry to read about your friend...cool that he was still running at 72 and beyond...nice that he had 92 years...I bet he was an amazing fellow.

2:41 AM  
Blogger jwkoncape said...

Thanks, Wendy. I think we are all inspirations for each other.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home