.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Busy Thursday

7 a.m.: I got up and ran this morning, although Vivi was not there. She must have slept in because she did not have to work today. So I cheated too and cut the run short. I did about a mile and a half, instead of our usual three. I think I can still feel noble.
Today I have a class at 10, a class at 2:30 a meeting at 4 and a class at 6:30. That ought to keep me busy. I need to make use of the time between classes. Part of that will be preparing for the next class, but I might be able to slip in another task or two. I need to get my grade books filled in. I start off with Weight Watchers at 8:15. I hope I lost a pound or two.
9:30 a.m.: Woo-hoo! Weight Watchers said I lost another three pounds. That's a total of 6.4 pounds in four weeks. I feel good about that.
10:30 p.m.: This is the day I should have labeled as "Wonderful"! It was busy, but now that it is over, I feel terrific.
8 to 9: Breakfast and Weight Watchers -- lost three pounds!
9 to 10: Prep for English Class
10 to 11: Good English Class. They learned the difference between it's and its.
11 to 12: Work on online class. I also got a visit from a colleague who said some of her students had praised my online class. She wanted me to show her how I do it. She is someone I respect as a mentor, and now I have a chance to help her. There isn't much in the world that makes me happier than that.
12-1: MainSheet (student newspaper) meeting.
1 to 2:30 Prep for journalism class.
2:30 to 4: Terrific journalism class -- they wrote leads on the board and learned a lot.
4 to 5: Meeting of Cape Cod Interfaith Coalition, at which I was elected secretary. My good friends Steve, Larry and David were elected chairman, vice chair and treasurer. We will have an excellent group.
5 to 6:30: Barbara brought me dinner while I prepared for the evening class.
6:30 to 9: Somehow I pulled together an excellent history of mass communication class, including a virtual tour of the French cave drawings that represent human being's first attempts at mass communication. I found it on the Internet and had the equipment to project it on a big screen in the class. http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/index.html We also had some insightful conversations. It all came together much better than I had envisioned. I feel like I am doing a good job as a teacher.
(150/173)
Running: 1.5

1 Comments:

Blogger wildpic said...

hello james kershner, you have a great log blog !

you are right with the dialogue ... nobody understood; only mahakasyapa smiled. buddha said, "the all-pervading true dharma i transmit to mahakasyapa."

i ignored that part because, nobody understood that either ! and also to heighten the experience of the known through the unknown with a question such as "originally there is nothing, where can you find dust ?"

thanks for dropping by and for your comment and the question. i appreciate.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home