.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Rain and wind

11 a.m.: I slept in again this morning, but -- with Barbara's encouragement -- I returned to my cushion and did my morning meditation at 10:30. It is a cold rainy day, which got me a little discourages. Fortunately the meditation cheered m up, as it always does.

I was wondering what to say at the Martin Luther King Day observance in Wellfleet. Then I received a message from Joanne Friday, my Buddhist mentor, and she included a copy of remarks she made at a similar event last year. I hope to use some excerpts from it in my own talk. I asked for Joanne's permission.

6 p.m.: I am still working on painting the new desk top I made for my college office. I am putting high-gloss enamel on composition board. Unfortunately, the uneven surface of the board is still showing through. Today I put the second coat on the first side. I think I will need to sand it thoroughly and add a third coat until it is smooth enough to be a desk top. We also took care of business today, going over all our bills and checking to see where we stand. As usual, we need to spend less or earn more, The good news is that I just got a raise, although I am not sure how much it will end up being.
(154/179)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home