.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday Monday

8 a.m.: I started my earlier version of my morning routine today. I meditated from 5:45 to 6. Then I had breakfast and read the paper. (I forgot to check my blood sugar -- shame on me!) I met Vivian at 7 for our morning run. The village loop was especially pretty today. It was like a crisp fall day, although there are still a lot of flowers around. Now I have enough for a leisurely shower before picking up Jessi for the ride to the college.
I had been feeling weak and tired lately, but I felt fine this morning. Maybe I was just sleep-deprived. I got a solid nine hours sleep last night, so that might have done the trick.

9 p.m.: It sure was an interesting day at work. I got my grade book filled in, but I also became a central character in a union controversies. The president of the statewide union sent us a message asking us to abandon our labor protest, known as 'Work to Rule" because an agreement had been signed and the governor "is expected to sign it." That made me mad because Governor Romney has reneged twice on approving raises for us. So I sent out a message saying I thought we should remain on "Work to Rule" until we actually get the raises. That started a series of e-mails from people who either agreed with me or agrees with the union president. Finally we held a union meeting at 3:20, and the overwhelming majority agreed with me and voted to stay on Work to Rule. That was gratifying. But it was also a little embarrassing to be so prominent in the dispute.

In the evening I went for another run with my running Buddy Alison. We did the same Playhouse Loop I had done with Vivi in the morning. I hadn't seen Alison for a week, so that was nice. Then, from 7 to 9 I graded papers. Barbara helped me by recording grades and sorting and alphabetizing everything to make it easier for me to return.
(Running: 6 miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home