.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Working Saturday

First of all, I slept in today. I did not get up early and run, and I don't even feel guilty about it. I think I needed the rest. Then I fixed my motorcycle rear-view mirror, which had come loose. Then it was back into the office to work on my on-line English. That turned out to be one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in years. I could not get that Blackboard program to do what I wanted it to do. And I could not get any help figuring it out. Finally I decided to revert to the old way of doing things. It's still a lot of work, but at least I understand it. I wish I understood more about how Blackboard works.
I am reminded of a brass plaque mounted above a urinal in the men's room of the American Press Institute in Reston, Va. It reads: "At least here I know what I am doing."

In teh evening, Barbara and I watched a DVD called "Bad Guy." It is from the same Korean director -- Ki-duk Kim -- who made "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring," which is one of my favorite films. "Spring..." is a lovely touching story about a tiny Korean Zen Buddhist monastery. "Bad Guy is about a nice college girl who is forced into prostitution, so it is a very different kind of film. It is equally thought-provoking and touching, but much more depressing and less uplifting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home