.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

9/11

6:50 a.m.: I wonder of the phrase "9/11" will always have the emotional impact it does now.
This morning I got up early for my morning routine. When I checked my blood sugar it was twice its usual level. I guess I shouldn't have had that bowl of coffee ice cream last night. Perhaps skipping exercise yesterday added to the effect. Now that I think of it, I had a bottle of Mountain Dew in the afternoon, too. I have to be much more careful about my diet.

I am looking forward to the interfaith service for 9/11 this evening. I hope I do a good job on my part. The keynote speaker is my friend Dan McCullough, and I see he mentioned the service in his popular Sunday newspaper column this morning.

11 p.m.: The Interfaith service was fantastic. It was better than my wildest dreams. We had about 200 people I think. The auditorium was at least half full. It looked like a good turnout. College President Kathy Schatzberg was the surprise hit of the evening. Her talk was very, very spiritual and powerful. But then Dan McCullough simply blew the place away. His talk was mind-blowing. It was the best talk I have ever heard him give. He was right on target. I am sure every person in the auditorium both laughed and cried at his powerful message about world peace. One person can make a difference, and he showed us how. It was transformative. Then there were panel discussions and music, and everything was terrific. At one point the rabbi, the Muslim and David Moran my friend who is a Christian minister who uses a wheel chair, were trying to squeeze into a rather tight space behind a table, and the rabbi said, "We friends in the Interfaith Coalition don't mind getting close." That said it all.


(326/172)
(Running: 5 miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home