.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Radio Conference

9 p.m.: Our college holds an annual radio conference, where students get to meet professionals form the radio industry. Although I have never worked in radio myself, the conference organizer, Lisa Zinsius, asked me to be on a panel about news writing, since much of what I teach does apply to broadcast news writing. It was a very interesting conference. It got off to a slow start, but our panel went well, and more and more people arrived as the day went on. The keynote speaker, Bob Seay, is a highly respected broadcast professional who was a news director and station manager on Cape Cod for many years. His talk was especially interesting.

I also managed to carve out some time in my office to get some work done for the Cape Cod Interfaith Coalition.

In the evening, I watched the NCAA basketball semifinal game between George Mason and Florida. I was sad that George Mason's Cinderella story came to an end. They almost made it, but Florida just outplayed them. But at least people have finally learned a little about George Mason University, where my friend Steve Klein teaches journalism.

I will see how long I can think of things for which I am thankful. Tonight, I am thankful for:

  • My profession and my career. I have been lucky, and I have worked hard, and I have enjoyed my work most of the time. I have had a good time as a journalism, and it was obvious at the conference today that I have made a lot of good connections, and I am respected in the field. I am very grateful for that, and I should remember to appreciate it.
  • Thich Nhat Hanh. I am grateful and thankful to be living at a time when I can benefit from the teachings of such an enlightened master. His teachings, and his interpretations of the teachings of the Buddha have changed my life.
  • Food. Yes, I am grateful and thankful for the abundance of delicious food that is so readily available to me. May I learn to eat in moderation and appreciate what I receive.
Once I wrote a little blessing I like to say before meals:

  • Aware that some people are starving, I will consume no more than I need.
  • Aware that not all food is healthful, I will be mindful of what I select.
  • Aware that this food is a blessing, I will be thankful for what I receive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home