.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Clean-up Day

11 p.m.: I should be asleep by now.
I did a lot of cleaning today. We cleaned up the cat box area and collected all the trash form the house and I took a whole load to the dump -- which, of course, is a recycling and transfer station. Then I met some students in the student newspaper office and we cleaned out that office. We removed all the back issues, saved out five copies of each, and took the rest down to a big recycling dumpster. It was actually fun. We had food and music, and the students seemed to really enjoy it.

In the evening we watched the film Crash. I really like it. I saw it first last Thursday night when one of the students brought it in to out mass media class. Movies are part of the mass media, and we had been discussing the Oscars, so it was relevant to the class. I was very impressed with it then and even more impressed the second time. The characters seem simple at first, but they just keep getting more and more complex -- just like real people. Just when you think you understand someone in the film, there is another complication. The film has many layers, and I want to see it a third time to see even more. I agree that it was the best film of the year.
(177/172)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home