.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Monday, Monday

10 p.m.: I'm too tired to write much, but it was quite a day. I decided to call in sick today for several reasons. First of all, I am still feeling lingering effects from my bronchitis, and have a very low energy level. Secondly, I needed to get a whole lot of papers graded, and I know that doesn't happen in my campus office. Also my wife and her mother and even more seriously ill than me, so I thought it best to stay home and take care of them.

Early in the morning we were hit with a crisis, in that Mom was very weak and unwell. She seemed to be declining quickly. At 87 in a person with congestive heart failure, that is not a good thing. We called her doctor, who recommended getting in-home oxygen delivered to our home. We all agreed that taking her to the hospital might be too upsetting to her. It might do more harm than good. Fortunately the oxygen truck came by early afternoon, and she improved quickly after that. Actually, she had started to improve a little before it arrived. We don't know what the morning crisis was all about, but fortunately it passed.

Barbara, of course, rallied and ignored her own bronchitis to take care of her mother. I pitched in with chores like dishes and laundry, in addition to grading a ton of papers. Late in the evening, Barbara helped me with the papers. It was not a fun day for anyone, but we all made it through.

One bright spot was hearing from our son Brandon who reported that he has moved into employee housing at the Pisgah Inn, where he and his brother both work. He sounded happy, and that makes us happy. He has a steady job that he enjoys, and he even got a raise for this season. Who could ask for anything more?
(177/172)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home