.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tough Tuesday

9:30 p.m.: It's been a long day. I dropped off shirts at the cleaners and got to work before 9. I taught a class at 10 and another at 2:30. I stayed at work until 7 p.m., entering grades and taking care of business like that. Now I am exhausted.

I had a nice e-mail exchange with my friend Steve Klein, who teaches journalism at George Mason University. I congratulated him on his school's amazing unexpected success in the NCAA basketball tournament. Nobody ever expected George Mason to make it to the Final Four. It's a real Cinderella story. I thanked him for the green "MASON" T-shirt he gave me last summer. He sent me this picture of the university president with the team mascot -- Gunston. I happen to know that Gunston Hall is the name of George Mason's home on the Potomac River. You could see it from my childhood summer home on the Maryland side of the river. But I have no idea what kind of creature Gunston is supposed to be! Anyway I hope George Mason University continues its winning streak, even at the expense of Florida, where my brother teaches. Those Florida Gators have plenty of trophies already. It's time to let an underdog win. Maybe that's what Gunston is -- an underdog!
(210/172)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home