.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Division Wednesday

9 p.m.: Today at work we had a "Division meeting." It was a meeting of the faculty members of the Division of Arts and Sciences called by the dean of arts and sciences. Unfortunately the operative word was "division." We fell into a classic "us-against-them" mode, and I was no better than the rest. Even though it is my spiritual calling to resolve conflicts and be a peacemaker, I just couldn't do it today. The administration announced a reorganization plan that the faculty does not like, and the result was hostility and bitterness. It was not a fun day.

The important thing for me to focus on is teaching and learning. No amount of administrative reorganization is going to affect the way I teach my classes and the way I interact with my students. I just need to focus on that and try not to let the other stuff bother me.

I remember recently reading a blog where the blogger consistently wrote a list of things for which she was grateful. (I think it was a female writer, although I am not sure.) If anyone reads this and also remembers the gratitude blogger, please let me know. I think it is a terrific idea. I'll try for three things.
  • I am grateful for my practice. By that I mean my Buddhist spiritual practice, which gives me peace, solidity, tranquility and happiness.
  • I am grateful for my job. Even though I had a terrible day at work in some respects today, I also know I helped some students. It is a joy to get paid for doing something you love.
  • I am grateful for my family. I am blessed to have a wonderful wife and to have two sons who are good men. I have a terrific mother in law and daughter in law, both of whom are not at all like the cliche jokes about in-laws. I am particularly thrilled to have a wonderful little grandson, who I love more than I ever could have imagined. My brother and his family are important to me. And My wife's siblings and their families are wonderful too. I love being a part of my wife's extended family, including some cousins who are closer to me than my own cousins. I am a lucky guy.

(155/172)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home