.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Very full Wednesday

10 p.m.: It is after 10 p.m., and I am only now finding time to write in my blog. I went for a short run at 6:30, picked up Jessi and headed for school. We stopped at the Sangha sitting room to pick up a book I wanted to show in mass communication class. We were discussing books as the first mass medium. So I showed them the children's book The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton and The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh, and talked about how they were two of my favorite books. They have very similar lessons, one I learned at age 5 and one at age 50. I hope the class got the idea. Then I chaired the meeting of the committee on Curriculum and Programs ("C&P"). Unfortunately there was some conflict, and I had to break a tie on a controversial issue. That was stressful. Later a student came to me asking to be added into my English class because she had a dispute with her other English teacher. i urged her to try to workout the conflict with the other professor. That was stressful too. Then I had a good Journalism 2 class, and returned to do some preparation for the evening program. That was a "town meeting on race" presented by the Cape Cod Interfaith Coalition. I just made some very brief remarks at the event, but I wanted them to be the right words. It went from 7 to 9, but I stayed to thank folks for coming, so I didn't get home until after 9:30. It was an excellent program, and I felt like I learned a lot. I am glad to be part of the coalition, even if it is a lot of work.
(120/173)
Running: 1 mile

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home