.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

New diet day

7:30 a.m.: I got up at 6 and meditated.
Today I start Weight Watchers. I shouldn't call it a diet. They like to say it is a "live-it" or a new lifestyle. In any case, I will be weighing in once a week and recording everything I eat. It has worked for me before, but only as long as I stick to the program. I think it will work even better for me this time for several reasons. For one thing, the new medicine, Byetta, is curbing my appetite. Also, I am very discouraged about my weight, and I will feel much better if I can get rid of this big belly. And, most important of all, dropping some weight should lower my blood glucose levels. I weigh about 172 today, and I plan to go down to 145 in a few months.

9 p.m.: The Weight Watcher scale said I weigh 179, not 172, but I am not concerned about that difference. As long as I follow the program and lose weight, it will be just fine. I get 24 points a day, plus 35 extra "flex points" per week, or an average of five per day, so I can actually eat 29 points per day. Today I ate 24.5 points, using up only one half of my weekly flex points. I am not hungry.

The Interfaith Coalition's bylaws committee met this afternoon, and I think we finally hashed out a good plan to present to the whole group next Thursday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home