.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, September 23, 2005

SNACCIM

9 p.m.: (OK, I'll be honest. I am wrirting this Saturday from the point of view of Friday night because my son Brandon called and pointed out that I had not updated my blog in 48 hours. It hadn't occurred to me that anybody cared. My public awaits!)
So What is SNACCIM? It is Student Newspaper Advisers at Community Colleges in Massachusetts, of course. And -- yes -- the acronym makes us giggle too. That's why we like it. I invited all 12 student newspaper advisers to come to lunch at our community college today. It was very difficult even contacting all 12. I only established good two-way communication with 11. At first eight were coming, but then, this morning, two had to cancel, so we had only six for lunch. But the six of us had a very good conversation. We compared noted and compared papers. One of our members, Amy form Northern Essex, gave us an update on the latest court cases concerning freedom of the press for college papers. The lunch was put on by students in our culinary program, and Jim Miller's crew did a good job. President Kathy Schatzberg and Dean Earl Bloor both stopped by to say hello and express their support. That was nice. It all went very smoothly, and we plan to meet again at Roxbury Community College in November.

But the stress of arranging for it all exhausted me. I got up at 5:45, ran at 6:45, took Jessi in to school at 8:30, taught mass comm at noon and did the luncheon from 1 to 4. Worked in my office form 4 to 5, came home and collapsed. Whew I was exhausted.
(Running: 2.5 miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home