.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Running with my son

Thursday in Asheville, North Carolina. We are visiting our two sons, both of whom work at the Mount Pisgah Inn, on the Blue Ridge Parkway 20 miles southwest of Asheville. It is also an opportunity to spend time with Ben's wife, Wolf, and their baby Nathaniel. Barbara and I brought her mother, Vee, so she could meet her first great-grandson. In the morning I inquired about other motel rooms, but all the nearby motels were booked solid because of a horse show at the nearby agricultural center. We had the free continental breakfast at our Days Inn and asked to move to a first-floor room, which was a little improvement. It will be fine. For lunch, we stopped by a nearby Subway and picked up subs for all six of us and ate them at a picnic table at Lake Louise Park. Then we took my younger son, Brandon, up to work at the Inn. That also gave his big brother, Ben, an opportunity to show his son, Nathaniel, to their colleagues at the Inn. In the afternoon Ben and I went to a nearby park in Fletcher, N.C., and jagged around the park pathways. We jagged together for a while and then I ran while he walked. After that we returned to our motel and took a swim in the pool. Then we returned to his house. He and Wolf and Nathaniel went to show the baby to their old birthing class, while Barbara, Vee and I went to an IHOP for dinner.
(Running: 3 miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home