.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Day of Mindfulness

The Cape Cod Times printed an obituary of Former Senator Eugene McCarthy with the other obituaries on Page F8 of Sunday's paper. Recognizing that his passing was more newsworthy than the others, an editor chose to make a reference to it on Page A1. Unfortunately the Front Page reference described him as "sardonic" and "acid-tongued." Those adjectives do not belong anywhere near a story about Eugene McCarthy. As the obituary from the Associated Press accurately noted, he had a witty, erudite speaking style. I agree with his son that the good senator was "thoughtful, he was principled, he was compassionate and he had a good sense of humor." He was a poet and an author and he spent a year in a monastery. As a former "clean-for-Gene" volunteer, I am saddened that the Times would make such a terrible mistake on one of its last references to a great, and kind, American statesman.

(190/170)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home