.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saturday digging out

Well, we don't have to literally dig out because the snow is only an inch or so, and there are plenty of bare spots. It's more like a psychologically digging out. We definitely have to reset all the digital clocks all over the house. Why are there so many?

Gene McCarthy died today. How sad to see the passing of a great man. In 1968 he knew the Vietnam War was wrong, and only he had the courage to stand up against President Lyndon B. Johnson and run for president on a peace platform. I was among millions of young people who joined the "Clean for Gene" campaign to try to end the war. Then, of course, Robert F. Kennedy decided to run too, and was assassinated. That was followed by the disastrous Democratic Convention of 1968 in Chicago where anti-war protesters were clubbed in the streets amid chants of 'The whole world is watching!" Hubert Humphrey won the nomination, Richard Nixon won the election, and the war dragged on for seven more deadly years. Former Senator Eugene McCarthy always spoke the truth and tried to do the right thing. There have no been many politicians like that.



John F. Kennedy, far left, speaking to group at a Minnesota airport during his 1960 presidential campaign. Prominent Minnesota Democrats were there with him, including Orville Freeman, to the right of Kennedy, Hubert Humphrey, and McCarthy, far right.

I am on my favorite day of treating my diabetes with Byella, and I am experieincing no serious side effects from injecting the "lizard spit." I wonder if I will start looking like a gila monster?

175/169)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home