.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

On the road again!

Yeah!
After five weeks of rest I started running again today. It felt wonderful. I ran the Playhouse Loop, a three-and-a-half-mile run that goes through the scenic grounds of the Cape Playhouse. It felt wonderful. I was moving at a slow jog -- probably an 11-minute pace -- but I still managed to work up a good sweat. I was able to clear my head and get some clarity again, after several weeks of feeling rather muddled. The neighborhood is so beautiful with autumn leaves all over. It was a pleasant day, too. The temperature was 46 degrees, and it was cloudy, but not unpleasant. (That's an old picture of me finishingthe Falmouth Road Race a couple of years ago.) My doctor said I should wait for six weeks after being diagnosed with bronchitis, and that would have been next Tuesday, I think cheating by three days is OK. I feel much better about myself.

I also feel good about my writing. I have been chugging away at the haiku I am writing for Mark's photographs. I do one or two per day now. I had been writing for a big chunk of time when I could write a lot. This worked out much better.

"I write a little every day without hope and without despair"
-- Isak Denison.

(217/171)
Running: 3.5 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home