.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Stones

Monday, August 15, 2005:
I got up at 5:30 for a shower and I moved quickly to the meditation hall to take my place in the ceremony of transmission of the Fourteen Mindfulness Trainings of the Order of Interbeing. The monks and nuns wore their saffron robes with gret formality. The members of the order line up in front of the stage in order of ordination. That put me somewhere near the middle. During the ceremony, which included a lot of chanting, recitation and prostrations, we welcomed 18 new members to the Order of Interbeing. Afterwards we had a brief reception with a lot of bowing and hugging. They also had an opportunity to buy their brown jackets right there. It used to be very complicated to get a brown jacket. I am glad they made it so easy for the new order members.

After breakfast Thay offered a question-and-answer session which was very interesting, but I was very tired. Jeff and I talked again after lunch. I like the opportunity to talk with people, but I also wish there were more periods of silence. Of course, I can always just walk away and practice silence alone.

I coughed up a little blood again, so I called my doctor and made an appointment to see her Wednesday at 1. Later she called my wife and left a message that I should stop by the hospital as soon as I get on Cape tomorrow and get a chest X-ray and blood test. She requested the hospital give her a “wet read” so she will have the results when she sees me on Wednesday. Interesting. I feel like I am in good hands with Dr. Topolewski. Of course I hope it is nothing serious, and yet I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some fear that it is something as serious as lung cancer.

But even with that hanging over my head, I feel ecstatically happy. The dharma discussion group this afternoon went extremely well – no unbelievably well. It was magical. We were all very happy and loving. We shared stories, songs, poems and a general feeling of lovingkindness. Sister True Faithfulness and I led it together, and she said it was like a duet that worked well. I was very pleased with the way it went. I wrote a poem just before the meeting, and it was very well received.

Stones

An army of Buddhists
practicing peace
takes over a place
called Stonehill.

There are stones in the road
and stones in the path,
little statues of stone
sitting still.

The teacher is peaceful
sitting still as a stone
teaching peace meditation
with pebbles.

Not a stone left unturned
they study the dharma
as old as the hills
made of stone.

The facility’s workers
they build a stone wall
and they stare at the army
of Buddhists.

Who walk in such silence
practicing mindfulness
each one as quiet
as a stone.

James W. Kershner, August 15, 2005,
Stonehill College, Easton, Mass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home