.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Book conference

Today I had a wonderful book conference with a photographer. He has asked me to write some poetry to go with his photographs. I rode my motorcycle to Mashpee Commons to meet him at a little cafe he suggested about midway between our homes. They had some tables out on the sidewalk, and we had a delicious lunch there as we talked about poetry, photography, journalism, philosophy and life. I felt like I was on the West Bank of Paris with Hemingway and Sartre. We agreed on how to proceed, and I am optimistic a book will emerge from this. His photographs are fantastic and my poetry will be adequate.
On the way home, I stopped by the Cahoon Museum of Art and visited my old friend Cindy Nickerson, who is the director there. They have a beautiful exhibit of watercolors by Karol Wykoff. Cindy and I worked together at the Cape Cod Times years ago. Later I stopped by the Cape Cod Mall to buy a pair of slacks. on the way out of Sears I ran into Sean Gonsalves, another old friend form the Times. While he and I were talking, our mutual friend and colleague Ron Sikora happened to be passing by and stopped to chat. It was wonderful seeing so many old friends in one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home