.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Good friends

This morning I got up early and rode my motorcycle 30 miles to Sagamore to meet my dear old friend Rob for breakfast. We had a wonderful talk about our families, our friendship and spirituality. Religion was a big part of the conversation, since Rob just finished writing an essay that is part of his application for ordination as a Lutheran minister. He hopes to receive ordination in September. It would be great if I could go to the ceremony, but it will be in Gettysburg, Pa., which is a long way away.

In the afternoon, I had lunch with Ann, and we talked about the sangha. She agreed to lead the sangha in my absence next Sunday. I later met with Robin, who is teaching a class at the college. I reassured her that she would do fine. We also talked about changes at the Cape Cod Times, where she still works.

In the evening I packed for the six-day retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh. I am really looking forward to that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home