.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh

In the morning I finished packing for the retreat. I checked my college e-mail; there was yet another inappropriate rant from one adjunct instructor who has been abusing the e-mail system. I responded by a plea for restraint that pointed out that the e-mail system was certainly not a place for a personal attack against a colleague. Later I saw several of my colleagues thanked me for sending it.

I arrived at Stonehill College about 2 p.m. There were long lines for registration, but everyone was happy and friendly. It is good to be back on retreat. It feels like home. Among the first old friends I saw were John Bell and Joanne Friday, both order members. I also saw Alexis Baron from Cape Cod, Agnes Rona, who attended one of my retreats, and Ruth Fishel, a popular author of spiritual books.

My room at the retreat is a typical dorm room, Spartan, but comfortable enough. I am glad I brought a fan because it is very hot. It is conveniently located between the dining hall and meditation hall (gym). I took my zafu and zabuton (sitting cushions) over to the meditation hall before dinner. Then I ran into more old friends, Judith Speyer form Rhode Island and Pat Tun from Orleans. Pat brought her son again. I also talked with Bill Menza, an order member who is in the room across the hall from me.

After dinner, the evening orientation was lovely. When Thich Nhat Hanh arrived, we all stood and bowed. There were more than 900 of us in the gym. He looks very young and healthy. His smile was broad and clear. He asked the monks and nuns and all the order members to come up on stage for the opening stage, so I joined my brothers on stage and chanted a tribute to Avalokiteshvara. That was very moving for me. His talk was very simple. Peace is available only in the present moment. If we simply enjoy our in breath and out breath in the present moment we can water the seeds of peace in us and all around us. If we can take one mindful step in the present moment, we can find peace, the pure land of the Buddha and the Kingdom of God right here in the present moment. After his talk we all walked back to our dorm rooms very slowly and mindfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home