.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Blueberry pickers

Our street was lined this morning with the cars of blueberry pickers. The town blueberry patch is just down the street, and it is open on Wednesday and Sunday mornings in August, or whenever the berries are ripe. So we joined them. Barbara, Mom and I each took a bucket and picked for about an hour. We enjoyed listening to the other pickers, including some young children, who were having a ball. They called to each other to report finding a particularly good bush. One little girl kept calling to her big sister to help with the high berries on the taller bushes. We got about three quarts this morning. They are delicious.

In the afternoon, Alison and I had a great run. We started at Johnny Kelley Park. We ran around the loop trail in the park. Then we headed south on Old Bass River Road to the Town Hall and went down some old trails through the woods. There is a beautiful stretch that overlooks the river. We ended up at a railroad bridge across Bass River, where we stopped and rested. Then we returned the same way. I think it was about five miles altogether. The trial running made it especially challenging and interesting. When I got home I ate a quarter of a large watermelon. Yum!

(175/175)
(Running: five miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home