.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, August 12, 2005

“Peace is a practice and not a hope.”

Thich Nhat Hanh gave a beautiful and simple dharma talk this morning. He kept repeating themes from the Buddha. He referred to the Noble Eightfold Path and said right view is the foundation on which right action, right speech and right concentration are based. He said that right view includes the understanding that we "inter-are," He said our ancestors are in us, just as the seed is in the plant and the mother and father are in the babyThatat made me think of my new grandson Nathaniel. I can see myself in him. He said peace is not possible as long as we practice violence. Violence never produced peace, violence only creates more violence. Everyone wants safety and security. But safety and security is not possible if the other side does not also have safety and security. "Peace is a practice," he said, "and not a hope."

The day started early. I rose at 5:30 and had a great shower. Then. then we all met in front of the library for outdoor walking meditation to the meditation hall for group meditation. Then there was breakfast. I went into town after breakfast because my eye as irritated and I wanted to buy some eye wash at the drugstore. I used it and felt better. I must have gotten something in my eye last night. After that I attended the dharma talk by Thay. It is wonderful to see him again.

It is also wonderful to see so many old friends from past retreats. All four Vong sisters are here, along with their mother. What a treat! I also saw Lilian Chung and her mother. I briefly saw Frances Bagda-Payton, the psychologist from Lincoln . She and I had a wonderful talk at a retreat John Bell gave. Every time I pass John, he and I exchange broad grins. Several people who remember me form past retreats have greeted me, and all the OI members in brown jackets seems like brothers and sisters, even if we don't know each other well. It is a religious order, not a fraternity, but there are some elements of both, I suppose. All of us at this retreat know we have something in common with everyone else here.

After lunch I went over to the college library to use the on-line computers and check my e-mails. As I was leaving I saw two friends from the retreat obviously doing the same thing. So I whispered to both of them, "Aren't we supposed to be freeing ourselves from such things?" One gave me a thumbs up sign and the other said, "Oh, I am, I am writing that over and over again, right here!" How Zen!

The dharma discussion group was very large. There were about 30 of us, which made intimacy and sharing a little more difficult than usual, but we managed. I was the only OI member in the group, so the sister asked me to say a few words about that. Many people talked about being very tired. I said it was OK to take a nap. Dinner and the evening meditation were lovely. Joanne Friday helped read a sutra at the end of the evening. When the day was done, it was beautiful to see 900 people pouring out of the gym, slowly, silently and happily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home