.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

San Francisco

A fantastic day in California!

In the morning, we drove up to Crissy Field, a park along the waterfront of San Francisco, just east of the Golden Gate Bridge. There is a running path there that was described in Runners World magazine, as one of the best urban running trails in the world. It lived up to that reputation completely. The path is smooth, even gravel and about 10 feet wide. It ollows the shoreline for miles and miles. To the north is nothing but beach, salt marsh and the San Francisco Bay. To the south is parkland, playing fields, gardens, and the whole city of San Francisco. While my family waited, I ran about two miles along the waterfront heading to the Golden Gate Bridge. I stopped just before the bridge and returned with the skyline of the whole city of San Francisco before me. The weather was mild, sunny and breezy, and it was a perfect day for running. the beautiful San Francisco Bay fog shrowded the top of the Golden Gate Bridge, but the sun kept peeking through the clouds. There were hundreds of other runners enjoying it just as much as me. Everyone was smiling -- which isn't always the case among runners. I felt like I played tennis at Winbledon or went skiing at Vail. It was a beautiful experience to run at such a beautiful place for runners. Here is a photo of me after the run.



Then we drove a few blocks to Ghiradelli Square, a collection of shops and restaurants built in an old Ghiradelli chocolate factory building. There are still a couple Ghiradelli chocolate shops there, so we naturally bought chocolate. We also had lunch at a diner there.

After lunch we drove across the bridge to Marin County, and went to Muir Woods. It is a national monument that preserves a spectacular valley containing an old-growth stand of coastal redwood trees. They are such magnificent creatures. Some are 300 feet tall and 900 years old. They are the tallest living creatures on earth. A ranger told us that the whole valley was almost forested and flooded, but a Mr. Knight, along with John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt, preserved them for posterity. I felt honored to be in the company of such majestic living beings. They are so tall it is hard to comprehend just how big they are.

In the evening, we joined more relatives and members of the wedding party for a big dinner for 14 at an Italian restaurant called Il Tornaio. It was delicious. It was a wonderful day.

(Running: four miles)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home