.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Getting something accomplished

It is a beautiful day on Cape Cod. My wife Barbara and I finally got out to paint the trim on our house. We are using solid-color stain in a Boston brown color. The rest of the house is natural weathered cedar shingles, like most houses on Cape Cod. It is a big two-story gambrel house, so there is a lot of trim. We did about one-third of the house a couple of years ago, and it's about time we finished. She is doing the low areas, and I am climbing the ladder to get the high areas. If there were to be any theme to this blog, it would probably be my struggle to accomplish the things I think I should. At least today I am accomplishing a task that has been on my list for a couple of years.

After painting all day I was tired, but I still wanted to stretch my legs. So I put on my shorts and ran two-and-a-half miles to Corporation Beach, where I took off my shoes and shirt and waded into the water. Cape Cod Bay was cold but refreshing. After splaching in the water for a few minutes I got out and sat on the seawall for a while, brushing off my feet. Then I put my shoes and shirt back on and ran back home again. That felt wonderful. After dinner I took my wife and her mother out for ice cream cones at the Ice Cream Smuggler. Then we drove back to Corporation Beach and watched some fireworks. The biggest display was in Orleans, about 15 miles away, but there were lots of unofficial displays much closer, including some from right in the parking lot. It was fun, and there wasn't the terrible traffic jam that always follows going to see the official displays close-up.

(Running: five miles with a swim in the middle)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home