.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Interdependence Day!

My teacher, Thich Nhat Hanh, founded the Order of Interbeing, and he likes to remind us that we all "inter-are." ON Independence Day, I like to remember that we are all dependent on each other. As His Holiness the 14th the Dalai Lama says, I cannot be happy if the person next to me is unhappy. And she cannot be happy is the person next to her is unhappy. So it continues all around the globe. I hope the Internet will be the technology that helps the people of the world understand how interdependent we are.

Today was a wonderful day for me. In the morning I mowed the lawn and replaced our mailbox. (A woman in a big gold Cadillac ran into it while I was watching her on Friday. She bought us a new one, and I put it up today.) Barbara and I worked for seven hours painting the rest of the trim on our house, and now we are all done! Yippee! I celebrated by running to the beach again. This time it was definitely warm enough to jump in the water, which I did with enthusiasm. My legs are sore now, partly form running five days in a row, and partly from standing on ladders painting for three days in a row. In the evening I took Barbara and her mother to a concert on our village green. They had an old-fashioned big band playing old standards from the 1930s and 40s. After they played the Bing Crosby song, "Pennies From Heaven," the bandleader said, "Now we're going to slow things down a little bit." I laughed so hard i could hardly catch my breath. After the concert we went out to the local Italian restaurant, Village Pizza. Barbara and I were stuffed, but Mom asked if we could stop for ice cream on the way home. How could I deny an 87-year-old woman her request?

Running: 5 miles (with a swim in the middle)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home