.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Let the Recovery Begin

Friday was another day of sad news and tragedy.
I skipped my morning routine because I had barely slept at all.
I got into the campus and attended a series of seminars for faculty from 9 to 3, but between sessions we all talked about New Orleans. The president of the college said we would take up a collection on the first day of classes Tuesday. Of everyone at the college gave one dollar that would be $5,000. That would help.

I worked on my syllabi from 3 to 6 and then returned home. In the evening there was a concert to raise money for the Red Cross. The concert featured folks form the affected area -- there was Harry Connick Jr., Wynton Marsalis, Aaron Neville, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. As soon as Wynton Marsalis started playing that sad New Orleans Jazz on his trumpet I started crying. I cried through Aaron Neville singing "Amazing Grace," and I cried through Harry Connick Jr. singing 'When the Saints Go Marching In." Barbara quietly went up to the computer and sent a credit card contribution to the Red Cross. I just wish we could do more.

(195/175)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home