.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Sunny Sunday

I was awakened by people parking their cars to pick blueberries down the street this morning.
We didn't pick blueberries today. Instead I did some more weeding on our own strawberry and raspberry patch. I thought we had gotten all the weeds yesterday, but either we missed some, or a lot more peeked up overnight. After that, I got carried away with cleaning our 12-by-12 screened porch. I took everything off the porch and scrubbed the floor.

Our pet box turtle, Tom, really surprised us today. We have been keeping some firewood in a big black circular rack on the porch. Sometimes we would let Tom walk around the porch, and he would frequently crawl under the log rack and sleep. When we started cleaning the porch, we put Tom outside in the strawberry patch. I carried most of the firewood out by hand, piece by piece. But then Barbara suggested the two of us could carry the whole rack out with the remaining firewood on it, saving me several trips to the woodpile in the backyard. When we started carrying the rack outside, Tom looked up and charged after us. I mean he ran at top speed. I have never seen him move so fast. He was chasing us down the path in the backyard, as if he was saying, 'Stop, wait, don't take away my log rack. I sleep under that thing. Wait! Come back!" He ran a good 30 feet at top speed. What a turtle!

Sorry, Tom, the porch looks much better and cleaner without a rack full of decomposing firewood. There should be fewer bugs on the porch too. I did bring in a box with some moss in it, just for Tom, and he seemed to like it.

In the evening I conducted the Cape Sangha, our Buddhist meditation group. It was one of the best sittings ever. We had an unusually large group -- 11 people. Some were newcomers and some were old-timers, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. I know I did. The meditation was sweet and peaceful. I played a tape of chanting and we chanted along. That was wonderful.


(191/175)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home