.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day

I am a veteran myself, although I am not really proud of it. I was vehemently opposed to the Vietnam War, but when I got drafter I was not willing to leave the country. So I enlisted in the Navy and spent four miserable years indirectly supporting he war I hated so much. They were the worse four years of my life, but I was never in any real danger, since the ships on which I was stationed never left the Atlantic Ocean.
Veterans Day was uneventful. Barbara and I just hung around the house. We spent some time fixing my computer. She suggested -- correctly -- that I should restore it to the settings of a week earlier, before I started acting funny. That took a long time, but it works fine now.
In the evening, our friends Ned and Glenda came over, and we talked, ate some homemade apple pie Barbara baked and played a card game Glenda taught us, called Shanghai Rummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home