.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, October 28, 2005

TGIF

Friday was a good day. I drove Jessi to the college, but then I headed into Hyannis. I went to the credit union to do some banking. Then I went to the hospital to visit some people. I am a volunteer Buddhist chaplain at the hospital, and occasionally the director of pastoral care calls me to visit a Buddhist. This time, there were two on her list. I felt a little insecure, wondering if I would know what to say, but it went very well. The first patient was a man about my age who had been in the coronary care unit. We had a lovely talk. He has studied the Buddha and the Dharma, but he needs a Sangha. I told him about ours and encouraged him to contact me later. I also took his phone number and will call him. The second patient had already checked out, but it turns out she is the wife of an old friend of mine. I called my friend and asked him to tell his wife I would be happy to talk to her any time.
Back at school, the mass communication class went well. I had lunch and worked on some projects at the office and then came home. Janet made a nice dinner and even an apple pie for desert.
I wish I could run, but the doctor said to wait six weeks after the bronchitis. Let's see the diagnosis was on Oct. 19, so that means I should not start until Nov. 30. Ouch! That's a long time to wait. Maybe I can shave a week off or so off that if I feel good. We'll see.

(162/170)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home