.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Friday, October 21, 2005

Spiritual healing

Lying in bed with bronchitis gave me time to reflect on my need for greater spiritual activity in my life. Two years ago I was ordained as a member of the Order of Interbeing, founded by Vietnamese Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh. http://www.iamhome.org/ .

Three members of my sangha have recently said they are interested in seeking ordination and accepting the 14 Mindfulness Trainings. If a help mentor them, that should raise the level of spirituality in my life significantly. I exchanged e-mail messages with the three of them (and with my mentor) last night. This could signal a new step in my spiritual development. I know you never learn so well as when you teach.

After that I slept for 13 hours last night, from 11 p.m. until noon today. I awoke with a bad headache and body aches, but then I took some Tylenol, and I felt better.

I spent almost all day resting, although Barbara did drive me into the college so I could pick up the papers I have to grade.I didn't grade any today, but maybe tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home