.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Osterville, Massachusetts, United States

I am a professor at Cape Cod Community College and and a member of a Buddhist order. After a 30-year career as a newspaper reporter and editor I became a full-time professor in 2001. I am the author of the textbooks "The Elements of News Writing" and "The Elements of Academic Writing." I enjoy running, hiking and camping. I have two grown sons and two grandchildren.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Soggy Wednesday

Well, the rain let up just enough for Vivi and I to get our run in at 6:45. We did the village loop, and it felt great. It is definitely good to be back on the road again.

At work I received some very sad news. My old friend Jack White died. Jack was the dean of Rhode Island journalists. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 1973 for his story uncovering the fact that President Nixon had not paid his income tax. I had first met him in 1970 when I was a young cub reporter and he was Newport bureau chief for the Providence Journal. Later -- after my four years in the Navy and his Pulitzer Prize -- we both ended up at the Cape cod Times, where I often edited his Sunday columns. He was a wonderful reporter and a kind and compassionate gentleman. Everyone liked and respected him.

I kept meaning to call him in recent years, but I never got around to it. Now it is too late. I am saddened by that, but I an happy I had the chance to know Jack White.

In the evening, I went to running group. Because it was cool with a light drizzle, hardly anybody showed up. My regular buddies wimped out. But a few of us ran and had a good time.

(Running: 7 miles?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home